in the news...
News

Matt Smith confirms he’s committed to Doctor Who into 2014

Radio TimesIn an interview in the new Radio Times, Doctor Who star Matt Smith has confirmed categorically that he is committed to Doctor Who for the next year – taking him through the recording of series eight – and that he is taking the show on a year by year basis.

There have been rumours that the 50th anniversary special would conclude with the Doctor regenerating, but this would seem to put a stop to those.

The Radio Times includes a wraparound cover featuring the various monsters to be featured in the eight episodes about to be aired, and confirms the titles of all bar the finale: The Bells of Saint John; The Rings of Akhaten; Cold War; Hide; Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS; The Crimson Horror; and Nightmare in Silver. Moffat’s finale, featuring the return of River Song, will be revealed later, with the head writer explaining, “You’re about to learn something about the Doctor that you never knew before. And I think you’re in for a shock…”

Doctor Who returns this Saturday at 6.15 on BBC One.

John Barrowman reveals his status on the 50th anniversary story here

Tennant confirmed for 50th anniversary special

About these ads

Discussion

28 thoughts on “Matt Smith confirms he’s committed to Doctor Who into 2014

1. Yes!!! :-) What good news!

Posted by Selkie | March 27, 2013, 10:43 am
  2. Title of the finale? “WE HATE RIVER SONG”. I must be out of step here but I would not care if the character ever appeared in the series again never mind be the focus of the last episode. Actual title of the finale: “The Eleven Doctors (and the Peter Cushing one too, yeah, why not)”.

Posted by James Kerr | March 27, 2013, 11:12 am
  3. …except that the latest rumours are that Season 8 isn’t filming until 2014, so, if true, all Matt is saying is that he’s committed to the Anniversary and Xmas specials.

Posted by M See | March 28, 2013, 12:15 pm
  4. Ok, never mind. Someone who’s read the article on another forum has said that Matt says ‘for the next year’ and not ‘Series 8.’ So depending on when Series 8 films, it doesn’t really confirm anything.

Posted by M See | March 28, 2013, 12:31 pm
    • For the next year is a description of a length of time. It implies – to me – that he will be there for filming until March 2014, which would fit series 8 shooting in September onwards

Posted by PS | March 28, 2013, 12:39 pm
  5. For those interested, the quote is (from page 10 of this week’s RT): “I’m attached to the show for the next year, and I take it on a year-by-year basis.”

I wouldn’t take it as given that this is proof of him doing series 8, especially as no one knows when Series 8 is being filmed.

Posted by Split_I | March 28, 2013, 2:08 pm
  6. ..any episode with the lovely “River Song” is alright by me. I have been a fan since 1978 when Tom Baker was in the role. I have every AND reconstruction made. I love this series….! (here, have a jelly baby…)

Posted by William Poole | March 28, 2013, 7:00 pm
  7. The Radio Times interview says nothing of the sort, just that he’s committed through THIS year – no mention of a (still unannounced) Season 8 or 2014.

Posted by Steve | March 29, 2013, 8:12 am
  8. Somehow every week there is either proof that he will stay or that he will leave at the moment. I’m just beginning to believe and expect nothing, we will see what happens when it happens.
    Although I really hope that he leaves after series 7, personally. He had a long enough run, and I am ready for someone new. Although I was never too fond of 11, so I might be a bit biased^^

Posted by Yenala | March 29, 2013, 1:23 pm
    • I would rather he signs for one more series to tie up lose ends regarding The Fields of Trenzalore prophecy from Series 6. Bad to leave business unfinished. Yes you are being biased.

Posted by mec | March 29, 2013, 3:18 pm
  9. Let’s just enjoy Matt as long as he’sThe Doctor, it’s almost as if that no sooner than they get the part everyone comes one every site imaginable wanting to know when they’re leaving………..WWWWWAAAAAATTTT!!!!! Just enjoy!!!!!

Posted by Wayne-oneill@skyy.com.uk | March 29, 2013, 1:55 pm
  10. Matt Smith being confirmed for the next year doesn’t necessarily mean that the rumors of the 50th aniversary being the end of regenerating Doctor are false. it just confirms that the 50th aniversiary wont be the end of the show. Matt smith could play the Doctor for the next 50 years and as long as when he quits they don’t regenerate the Doctor, that would imply that there were no regenerations after the 50th special.

Posted by Camden | March 30, 2013, 10:50 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Matt Smith confirms he’s committed to Doctor Who into 2014 | TARDIS NEWS - March 26, 2013

2. Pingback: Matt Smith será el Doctor por lo menos hasta 2014 | FrikArte - March 27, 2013

3. Pingback: New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers* - Page 127 - March 28, 2013

4. Pingback: Transmissions From Atlantis 33: Spoilerific Previews of the Season Premieres for Doctor Who & Game of Thrones | Earth Station One - March 29, 2013

5. Pingback: Doctor Who: Radio Free Skaro » Blog Archive » Radio Free Skaro #360 – Quadracyclephenia - March 31, 2013